Feoktistov Aleksandr Vladimirovich, Candidate of juridical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of private and public law, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Background. Mediation is an effective way of conflict settlement, allowing both to optimally settle issues of dispute parties and to relieve judges’ work. This method of conflict settlement is apprehended by experts in law ambiguously. At the present time in western countries there is no uniformity in the understanding of the essence of mediation and the basic principles thereof. In different countries there are private features of the given institution. The aim of the article is to consider the definition and signs of mediation, problems of introduction of the given institution in Russia.
Materials and methods. Realization of the research tasks was achieved on the basis of the analysis of main legislative acts of the Russian Federation securing legal bases of an alternative way of conflict settlement. The methodological potential included the methods of comparative-legal analysis and generalization that allow to compare the contents of various institutions and to reveal specific characteristics.
Results. Mediation is an effective means of conflict settlement that is capable to meet legislator’s expectations. It is also proved by the positive court practice in Lipetsk, Volgograd, Vladimir, in towns of Voronezh, Irkutsk, Ulyanovsk, Sverdlovsk, Rostov-on-Don, Omsk, Moscow and Altay regions etc.
Cocnlusions. The law not just lacks specific requirements to the procedure of mediation and mediators, but it also does not create the legal base and organizational structure, sufficient for institution functioning. The problem of mediation procedure appointment when a conflict is already before the court is still unsolved at the legislative level. To solve this problem a legislator should regard the experience of the previously described legal experiment. Besides the above mentioned problems, to the author’s point of view, mediation brings forth the following ones: expensive and short education at mediator courses, lack of the system of mediators’ independence guarantee, insufficient explanatory work in the population.
1. Litvinov A. V. Vvedenie v mediatsiyu [Introduction into mediation]. Available at: http://samlib.ru/l/litwinow_aleksandr_walentinowich/med1.shtml (accessed 1 Oct. 2014).
2. Shamlikashvili Ts. A. Vnedrenie mediatsii v Rossii [Mediation introduction in Russia]. Available at: http://www.mediacia.com/publications/81.html (accessed 4 Oct. 2014).
3. Kalashnikova S. I. Mediatsiya v sfere grazhdanskoy yurisdiktsii [Mediation in civil jurisdiction]. Moscow, 2011.
4. Yakovlev V. F. Mediatsiya i pravo [Mediation and law]. 2006, no. 1.
5. Modestov V. A., Modestova A. V. Molodezh' i nauka: sb. materialov VI Vseros. nauch.-tekhn. konf. studentov, aspirantov i molodykh uchenykh [Youth and science: proceedings of VI All-Russian scientific and technical conference of students, postgraduates and young scientists]. Krasnoyarsk: Sibirskiy federal'nyy universitet, 2011. Available at: http://conf.sfu-kras.ru/sites/mn2010/section10.html.
6. Nikolyukin S. V. Pravovye tekhnologii posrednichestva (mediatsii) v Rossiyskoy Federatsii: nauch.-prakt. posobie [Legal technologies of mediation in the Russian Federation: scientific and practical textbook]. Moscow: Yustitsinform, 2013. Available at: http://base.garant.ru/57794585.
7. Artemova D. I. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Obshchestvennye
nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Social sciences]. 2013, no. 4 (28), pp. 52–63.
8. Stul'nikova O. V. Aktual'nye voprosy prava: materialy IX Mezhdunar. prakt. konf. [Topical problems of law: proceedings of IX International practical conference]. Praga, 2013.
9. Malyavina N. B. Yurist [Lawyer]. 2013, no. 8.